Tuesday 18 July 2017

That time I went to Comic Con Gent...

Comic Con Gent 

Two Sunday's ago, on the 9th, Bert and I went to Ghent for Comic Con. 
The convention used to be called Starcom the first year, and last year it just had two names. 
This year, however, it was Comic Con Gent. It's by the same people that organise Comic Con Brussels, Elftopia and Comic Con Antwerp, and let me tell you, they did a really good job on this one. 
I haven't been to Comic Con Brussels or Antwerp (although Antwerp is legit as it's organised the first time in September) or Elfopia (going to next month's edition though!), but I have been to every edition of this convention, and let me tell you, if the organisation keeps this up I'll be going to every edition for as long as they organise it. 
I wrote a full review on The Gathehouse here, and there'll be pages in the next edition of BCM, so this will just be my personal recollection of the day.

Adventure Time! (Pun intended, click to find out why). 

We got there a little after 10, managed to find parking space (not as easy as you'd think, because ...Ghent) and checked in. 
The staff that did the bag check and and the press check in were SUPER friendly and professional, which was such a pleasant experience. 

Once inside, we did a first tour of the entire event to see what was going on. We got there about half an hour after it started, because Bert wanted to hunt down Adventure Time merch, and we both wanted to have ample time to see everything, catch some Q&A's and other bits of the program so we could do a review and take plenty of photos. 
After that first tour we had a better idea of what we wanted to go back to photograph and buy and such. 
I picked up enough drinks/food coins so we could have a drink at the convention at some point, and we went for a wander and hanging out. 
And wandering tons because I wanted to photograph plenty of the cool fashions and cosplays, as well as neat things for sale :).

Comic Con Gent

Comic Con Gent

Comic Con Gent 

These guys were A-MA-ZING. The guy cosplaying The Doctor was super on point, and the guy inside the Dalek built the entire thing himself! He also build the Belgian Whovian's Tardis. Very, very cool. Kudos to them both!

Comic Con Gent

Comic Con Gent 

There were also quite a few steampunks! 
I kinda felt bad that I went for super comfy hipster-steam instead of full on steampunk, but with 2 hour car rides and summer heat, I just can't XD. I don't have an outfit shot because they all turned out mega derpy, BUT I was wearing spats, goggles, armor and a bunch of steampunk accessories, I feel that should count for something :D. 

We caught the Q&A with Stanislav Yanevski

Comic Con Gent 

and when it was about lunch time we decided we didn't feel like sandwiches at the Con. Not just because they were quite expensive (convention food and drinks generally are) but because we simply didn't feel like sandwiches. We also didn't feel like the food truck food (Comic Con Gent always has food trucks outside, you can leave and re-enter at leisure with a stamp on your hand). It was nice to see that they had a vegan food truck though, so vegetarians and vegans that didn't bring lunch could find something to eat. 
But yeah, none of the food appealed to us, so we went for a wander in the vicinity. About 5 minutes away from the ICC (where the convention was taking place) we found a falafel place (that advertised that they catered to vegetarians, just an FIY) and a Delhaize supermarket, open on Sundays. 
So we went to the supermarket to get some pastries and bread rolls. We didn't get drinks, because we still had the coins to get some at the convention. Because the weather was super nice we lunched in the park and had a little wander. 

Bert wanted to have some photos taken for his Adventure Time social media and I wanted a make-up shot for my 100 days of make-up thing I've been doing.

Bert

Day 60/100 days of make-up in 2017 

After that we went back to the convention for a couple more hours and did some shopping. We ended up getting some Spawn comics, an Adventure Time poster, a fleece Princess Bubblegum pillow, a Disney record and a matcha dorayaki.

Bert

Photo of the day: 10.7.2017 (day 191)

Photo of the day: 13.7.2017 (day 194) 

By then it was time to go into town to meet up with our friend Claire at Starbucks. After hanging out with her for a couple of hours, we went home again. 

Selfie

Thankfully there were no traffic jams because it was super hot. 
But yeah, awesome day with awesome, friendly people and a great event. Couldn't ask for more!  

All my photos of this edition of Comic Con Gent are here
Last year's photos and post
First edition's photos. 

---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website - old blog (it's to say, I double post, but my years and years of posting is on there as I've had it since 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment