Friday 10 November 2017

First impressions of Urban Decay's Vice Special Effects

Urban Decay - Vice special effects in Regulate

Even though I haven't had a lot of good experiences with the Urban Decay products in the past (understatement), I still tend to swatch their new ones as they will be both MIT and paraben free in Europe. 
Which is why, one day, I swatched the glitter lip topcoats. Or as they are officially called, the Vice special effects. 
I really loved the dusty lilac one, and after some deliberation, and the conclusion I had no better use for the €5 loyalty coupon for ICI PARIS XL, I ended caving and buying Regulate. As that is what the colour is called.

Urban Decay - Vice special effects in Regulate 


Here's my first impressions: 

* Even though it's waterproof it comes off really well with a good make-up remover. I am currently using the camomile one from Yves Rocher, that doesn't even list that it is a waterproof make-up remover, so either that stuff is amazing or the lip topper is properly removable without having to rub like crazy.

* It'll last all day, but it doesn't mean you won't need touch ups to your lipstick underneath. At first it feels really sticky and weird, but after a few minutes you won't feel it all. 
I also found it didn't dry out my lips, at all, and I wore it for 10 hours straight. I was pretty impressed by that. 
So formula wise I can't fault this product, at all. 

* The brush (it's a brush, not a wand) is flimsy and rubbish. I don't like it at all. Frankly, I feel that if you wanted to wear this on it's own, which is totally an option, it would still be a lousy applicator. It'll do for sure, it's just not as good as it could and frankly, should have been with that price point. (Even after the €5 discount I still paid over €16 for this).
To be honest, I have only ever used it to swatch on my hand. Not just because the applicator is sub par, but also because if I wanted to apply it over a liquid lipstick, and especially a cream one, with that brush, I would contaminate the product because there would get lipstick on there, muddling with Regulate. If that happens just once, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but if that would happen every single time, well, it wouldn't be to the products benefit. At all. So I use a lip brush. This of course makes that the product isn't a good on-the-go kinda thing. 

Ups and downs, ups and downs. 

Is it worth it? 
Well it all depends on whether you want to shell out for something like this really. 
I suppose that in the end of the day, you might as well buy cosmetic grade glitter and pat that on your lips. 
The expiration date will be much later, but it likely won't be cheaper, so it all depends on your personal preference. 
If you don't mind having to deal with glitter glue or mixing mediums, by all means, go for the loose glitter (which would REALLY be a touch up nightmare on the go, though). 
If you do mind, then this top coat is probably more your thing. 
But yeah, you REALLY have to be into glitter for this kind of thing to be worth your while I imagine.

Personally, I quite like it. I think it's fun, and if I wear it on it's own or on a nude lipstick matching my own lip colour on days I'm not going to be out and about and eating (ergo: won't need to touch up), I would absolutely wear it out and about. I don't love it enough for it to make a monthly faves post, but I do like it enough to keep on using it.

Please note I only ever tried Regulate on my lips (I did swatch a couple of other ones) so I am not able to tell you anything about the quality of the colour colours in the range. 

---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website 

No comments:

Post a Comment