Thursday 15 February 2018

Comic Con Brussels!

Blog header

Last Saturday, Bert and I got up far earlier than we usually do for a convention (6am) because we wanted to be there at opening time. 
Mostly because I wanted to see the Lightsaber battle demonstration. 

We picked up Lora at her place, and spend some time petting her adorable bunnies Fiver and Lukka, and asking Tom what he wanted merch wise so we could help Lora look. 

I wrote a proper review on The Gatehouse here, this is just my run-down of the day. And what a fun day it was! 

Traffic was on our side, so we got there about half an hour earlier than we expected to. We were pretty surprised to find a MASSIVE queue of people waiting for the doors to open. 
Because standing that long wasn't an option for either myself because of health issues, I asked a crew member where the press desk was. 
She was SUPER nice and took us along to a volunteer that did know (it was her first year) who sent us straight to where it was. Super kind of them. 
The press guy (who shan't be named because I'm not sure he's ok with that) who is always super friendly was at the desk, and he gave us our bracelets and let us in already so we could take some photos without too many people in the way. Much appreciated kind sir! 
Comic Con staff is always so nice, which is awesome! 

Lora and I left our coats at the cloak room, which was €3 per piece, yikes! Bert was wearing his UNIQLO coat, which folds up super small, so he could just put it in his backpack. Lucky him! 

So in we went and pictures we took. 
First thing we saw was this Walking Dead set-up. I don't watch the show or read the comics, but Bert does. Watch the show that is.

Bert at the Walking Dead stand 

And then I noticed the photo booth at the NYX stand (we were early anyway) so of course we HAD to play with that. We were allowed to mind, we asked the staff :). If you left your email, you got an email with the gif/video file, at the stand you got a print. They also had a spin the wheel thing, and whilst Lora and I didn't win anything, Bert won me a 10% off coupon for any Belgian NYX store. Now I just have to decide what I want.

Fun with the NYX photobooth 

There were a bunch of other photobooths too, but we didn't make use of those. Kinda wish I had now.

Jurassic Park/World stand

Star Wars creature

Cantina

droids 

We spent some time taking photos of what feels like everything before we went to watch the lightsaber battle demo. These guys were doing actual workshops with people too later in the day, but I didn't participate. I know from LARP experience that my swordfighting skills are lousy.

Lightsaber battle demo 



We stopped at the Whovians U.N.I.T.E.D stand, where their photographer took Lora and I's photo at the TARDIS. Thank you kind sir!

Whovian Comic Con Brussels

Belgian Whovians U.N.I.T.E.D stand 

We had the plan to ask guests a few quick questions to do a page for the next issue of BCM. So first we queued for Anthony Daniels, who plays C3P0 in Star Wars. The queue wasn't long at all, but there were two professional autograph dealers in it and it took FOREVER for them to leave, they had so many things signed, I'm not even joking. There was a lot of disgruntled muttering in the queue from other people. We (I really wasn't the only one) felt that people should get limited to the amount of things they have signed. Say: you can have 5 things max signed, and if you want more, you have to queue all over again. 
I had to sit down for a bit twice, because it was just too long. 
BUT Mr Daniels was super friendly, and he let us ask both our questions! 

Because doing all the queues would take all day, and I didn't want to feint from standing, we asked staff for help. And they were happy to do so and super friendly! 

The manager of Nichelle Nichols was super friendly, and she was happy to answer a quick question. 

John Rhys-Davies manager was even nicer, and she told us we could have some time for a short interview after his photoshoot time. Thank you again kind lady! 

We went back later to ask Dean Cain, who was also happy to make some time for us. He was super friendly too! 

Because we still had time between asking questions and our interview slot with John Rhys-Davies we wandered around the convention, taking photos and looking around. 

Ford Anglia

steampunk stuff

plushies

Star Wars stuff 

We ran into our friend Maarten, who was cosplaying Star-Lord.

Maarten as Star-Lord 

And watched the sci-fi cosplay catwalk.

Rey

Sci-fi catwalk participants 

After that, we went to wait to do our interview with John Rhys-Davies. His manager let us come into the photobooth right after the last fan had left, and they were still doing fun photos with staff. And then he said we could have a photo with him too! That was so sweet! 
He is seriously one of the nicest, possibly THE nicest, celebrity I have ever met! He took so much time for us, even though he had to go to lunch (to his manager: I am really sorry for taking up so much time, I really do appreciate you setting it all up, you rock!). 
He even took time to pose with us, and Bert, again for extra shots in case we wanted to use them in BCM! 
Bert was super happy to meet him too, because Gimli is his favourite character from Lord of the Rings. 
Seriously, thank you everyone that helped make this possible, because this was an amazing moment for all of us!

Bert and John Rhys-Davies 

We found a mostly white wall, so we decided that it was as good a spot as any to do outfit shots. 

Lora

Bert 

I really should have thought my outfit through rather than go “oh I want to wear this dress” and then just throw some stuff on on the day itself just after 6am. Shan't be making that mistake again! 

Outfit: 10.2.2018 

Hat: Disney Store US Star Wars merchandise 
Glasses: Theo 
Scarf: etsy seller 
Blouse: Ank Rouge 
Dress: made it myself 
Tights: Teja Jamilla 
Boots: Palladium 
Bag: Bakker made with Love 
Bags: Fossil, handmade, Han Cholo, asos, Roxy, Pieces, Moon Raven Designs

I also shouldn't be allowed to do my make-up in low light. But hey, live and learn! 

Make-up of the day: 10.2.2018 

BROWS: 
- M.A.C, Brow sculpt in Cork 
EYES: 
- M.A.C, in extreme dimension color lash mascara/work it out in Muscle Tee 
- M.A.C, pro longwear concealer in NC20 
- M.A.C, technakohl liner in Snowed In 
- Too Faced, Shadow Insurance eyeshadow primer 
- Too Faced, Chocolate Bon Bons in Divinity, Cashew Chew and Almond Truffle FACE: 
- M.A.C, blush in Full of Joy 
- Too Faced, Hangover Primer 
- Too Faced, Unicorn Tears highlighter 
- Too Faced, Sweet Peach Glow bronzer 
LIPS: 
- Sephora, cream lip stain in Copper Blush 
- Too Faced, La Crème in Unicorn Tears 
- Weleda, Everon lip balm 

Afterwards we spent a few more hours wandering the convention, taking photos and taking it all in some more. 

horror cosplayers

Cthulhu!

cute mannequin head

Harley and the Joker

Deadpool vs Vault Boy 

I got Bert a Pickle Rick t-shirt. Just a word of warning, Bioworld t-shirts run small, so if you get one from that brand, size up. I think I'll get him a bigger size at large.be next month, because this one does fit but it's too short :(. 

He got me a really cool Harry Potter bag at the Large stand. I use these small bags to keep my iPod in, and in winter also my gloves. They're also really handy when I go to concerts, so I can just carry essentials and nothing else :).

New Harry Potter bag 

It was pretty late in the afternoon when we went home again, we didn't stay 'till the end, which I kinda regret now. But we had a really awesome time and I can't wait 'till the next event! 
Roll on summer for Comic Con Gent!



---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website

No comments:

Post a Comment